Shipping in Syria
Procedure / Requirements
- Special Customs Requirements – Importdeclaration must be filed with customs and this is usually done by the importers themselves (consignee or a forwarder acting on his behalf)
- Customs clearance details – Cargo should be cleared/collected within a max. period of 6 months otherwise receiver lose the right to claim for the cargo as per Syrian Customs’ Regulation.
- Commodity – All import to Syria should comply with Syria Sanctions. We are allowed to load commodites listed on positive list, which do not require questionnaire and LOI to be submitted. Only commodities not listed on this list require prior approval. LOI has to be on Shippers letterhead. Please ensure to comply with Syria Sanctions Restrictions mentioned in the below link
For acceptance policies for Syria please refer to :
- Weight and measurement – For general information on weight and measurement restrictions please contact your local Seago Line office. Most containers can be loaded to the max payload.
- Special Cargoes – For dangerous cargo the dangerous cargo papers must be provided and approved at the time the booking is placed. Please ask our Customer Service team for exact details. Acceptance of IMO cargo should be pre-confirmed by agents. Restrictions for only IMO class 1 and 7
- Military Cargo: Please note that acceptance for Military cargo of all kinds are ceased
- Cigarettes & tobacco cargo: accepted for Syria import if approved by CEN and only under below conditions and after providing below requested documents
- Shipper LOI states clearly who the final consignee is
- Forwarder is not accepted as consignee
- Consignee should submit a letter of undertaking that they are allowed to ship cigarettes and tobacco to Syria and they are the final receiver of the cargo, and will not endorse the shipment to any other party
- General guidelines:
- Freight collect is not acceptable in Syria
- No parties to the Bill of Lading can be listed in any denied party lists (DPL)*, nor can the party be involved in Oil & Gas Production or Exploration
- No 'To Order' Bills accepted ‘to’ Syria, but acceptable ‘from’ Syria.
- No switch Bills of lading involving Syria as final delivery is acceptable
- No Shipper Owned containers accepted to/from Syria.
- USD currency cannot be involved when shipment is from/to Syria
- “To Order” Bills" are accepted for import shipment to Syria, if the commodity is foodstuff not for any other commodity
- 2/3 Original BLs ( dully stamped/signed by the receiver & forwarder ) has to be surrendered to our office against collecting clean Delivery Order
- Copy of SWB ( dully stamped/signed by the receiver & forwarder ) has to be surrendered to our office in case Surrender Notice arranged at origin
- Official LOA ( Letter of Assignment ) dully stamped at court house + full set of Original BLs should be presented to our office in case receiver requested amendment to Cnee’s name
- Any amendment requested after vessel arrives is subject to customs’ penalty, same to be settled by the receiver directly to customs’ authorities
- Amendment request is subject to amendment fee as set by the Line
- Unstuffing allowed inside Syria, moving the container to a nearby countries to do the unstuffing is prohibited
- Unstuffing outside the port allowed against cash deposit/ through Local Insurance Company to be nominated by the Line
Demurrage / Detention / Free time
We are as of 1st of January 2017 standardizing our Detention & Demurrage products and adjusting our tariffs for Syria.
Our calculation methods for Demurrage and Detention have been improved. These calculations will be based on change in trigger events that start and stop Demurrage and Detention and parameters that will affect applicable charges within this period.
In overview, you will see these changes introduced in Syria :
|CURRENT||MOVING FORWARD||WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ?|
|Availability date triggers import DnD||Discharge triggers import DnD||Free time calculation will start earlier than today, upon actual discharge of the container|
|Next day from discharge date triggers import DnD||Same day with Discharge date triggers import DnD||Free time calculation will start earlier than today, upon actual discharge of the container|
Since these changes are made for the benefit of our customers, effective 1 January 2017, our Combined Demurrage & Detention tariff charges for import will be:
|Free time 11 calender days||Free time 10 calender days|
|Tariff after freetime||EUR 16 EUR 32||EUR 16 EUR 32|
|Free time 6 calender days||Free time 5 calender days|
|Tariff after freetime||EUR 60 EUR 120||EUR 60 EUR 120|
|Free time 11 calender days||Free time 10 calender days|
|Tariff after freetime||EUR 35 EUR 70||EUR 35 EUR 70|
At Seago Line we want to make it easier for you to work out the financial cost of shipping your cargo. Below is an explanation of the demurrage, detention, freetime and surcharges that might be applied to containers set for both import and export.
|DRY/ Flat racks/Open tops:||10 Calendar days (day of discharge excluded)|
|REEFER:||5 Calendar days (day of discharge excluded)|
|Import Tariff"||Currency||20' dry||40' dry
||20' Reef||40' Reef|
|Day 11 and onwards (dry/ Flat racks & Open tops)||EUR||16||32||32||35||70||NA||NA|
|Day 6 and onwards (reef)||EUR||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||60||120|
Demurrage (Start): The day after the date a laden container has been discharged from the vessel to the terminal. Demurrage (End): The day a laden container has been picked up from the terminal (gate out full date).
Port storage (Start): Paid directly by customer to Syrian customs.
Port storage (End): Paid directly by customer to Syrian customs.
Detention (Start): The day a laden container has been picked up from the terminal.
Detention (End): The day an empty container has been returned back to the terminal/depot (gate in empty date)
|Local surcharges - Syria||Currency||Amount||Application basis|
|Transport Document Amendment Fee||EUR||20||BoL|
|Transport Document Issuance Service||EUR||15||BoL|
|Change of Destination||EUR||275 (Approx)||Container|
Manual Documentation Fee
From November 1st 2016, all shipping instruction submissions for your shipments must be submitted through My.Seagoline.com or any other online platform (EDI, INTTRA etc.).
In case that you still wish to submit the shipping instructions manually, a Manual Documentation Fee (MDF) is applied.